I have always loved my nails. I sometimes grow them out and sometimes leave them short. Sadly, they don’t get enough love because a lot of times, I’m so carried away with polishing them I forget to actually care for them!
Recently after my long period of constantly polishing my nails, I cleaned off the polish and oddly enough noticed this annoying orange-yellow tint on my nails.
I know I had not taken any break with the nail polishes. I have this little stash and couldn’t wait to try them all out. The only problem is that I wasn’t thinking of the harm it was doing my nails.
Since the orange tint in my nails bothered me a lot, I’ve decided:
1. I’m so going on a nail polish fast. No nail polish until I grow out the orange tint.
2. To do a mani-pedi. That will probably be a DIY first.
3. To keep my nail polish on for not more than a week. i.e when the tint is gone and I start using nail polish again.
I also took to the internet for answers. LOL. And I actually learnt a lot and noticed a lot of things I had been doing wrongly. These are a few things I’ve learnt about nail polish:
1. First, I learnt that it’s not advisable to use nail polish remover more than twice a month. Nail polish removers (especially the ones containing acetone) cause a drying effect to the nails, leaving them brittle). With my new plan, I’ll keep the polish on for a week. To cut back on the number of times I use the polish remover, I’ll go without any nail polish the following week. Plus I’m also going to get hunting for a non-acetone nail polish remover!
The SIZZELLE STORE now stocks non-acetone nail polish remover. Click HERE to make your purchase.
2. I also learnt that thin coats of polish are way better than thick ones. Another area I’ve failed! Thicker coats increase the chances of discoloration especially in cases where there’s no base nail polish (another mistake I’ve been making: I haven’t used a base in forever!) FACEPALM!
3. Formaldehyde is another chief agent of discoloration. I’m going to start reading the ingredient list of my nail polish removers!
Now, if you’re like me. And your nails already have that annoying orange tint, here are some tips I learnt to get rid of them. (I’m yet to try them though).
1. Apply toothpaste on your fingers for about 20 minutes then wash it off LOL! I’m not about to waste my Sensodyne toothpaste on my nails, best to look for a cheapie toothpaste
2. Soak your nails in mouthwash for about 20 minutes. If this is done consistently, it would lighten up your nails. (I guess that’s the logic behind it). 3. Apply lemon essential oil & tea tree oil on the affected nails. (a drop of any of these oils on your fingers overnight would do some good and help in getting rid of the stain).
I’ll be getting my base nail polish and cheapie mouthwash soon enough to get rid of this tint and hopefully cheers to better looking nails!
Till next time!
Related articles across the web
© Copyright 2014 Tunrie, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!