Hello! Welcome back to the blog!
I think pre-poo is a really funny word.
It is a short and alternative for “pre-shampoo” where you apply a treatment to dry hair prior to washing it to enable the hair withstand the shampoo’s stripping effects. It is not to be confused with hot oil treatment or oil rinses. I pre-poo every time I wash my hair as it mentally prepares me for the arm workout I ‘indulge in’ on wash days. Even as it prolongs my washday process, it’s totally worth it! As always, it is important to try different methods till you find what works for you so you can enjoy the benefits.
What to use when pre-pooing
- Oils such as coconut, olive, castor, jojoba or grape-seed can be used to pre-poo. A few drops of essential oil can be added if preferred. Personally, I use a combination of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and a few drops of any essential oil I own.
- Lightweight moisturizing conditioners can be used a pre-poo treatment. A little oil could be added to the conditioner.
- DIY queens are known for their use of pantry items like eggs, avocados and bananas can be used while pre-pooing. I have tried using eggs, bananas and honey but I kept thinking “I should have fried this egg”, “I have food in my hair o!” My dad just kept staring at me and I could see that “thank God I’m not a woman” look in his eyes! Lol!
How to pre-poo
- Section your hair and apply a generous amount of the pre-poo treatment, focus on the tips and roots.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or conditioning cap and leave your hair covered for at least 45 minutes.
- Simply wet your hair and proceed to wash hair as normal.
Benefits of pre-pooing
- Softens the hair and reduces breakage whilst detangling the hair.
- Reduces damage to the hair cuticle during the drying process.
- Breaks down dirt and makes it easier to wash off.
- Acts as a conditioner prior to washing the hair
Have you ever tried pre-poo? What are your thoughts on it? What combination works better for you? If you haven’t tried it yet, share how you intend to. Be sure to leave a comment would love to hear from you.© Copyright 2017 Dara, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!