The list of oils for hair is endless but I’ll talk about a few of the ones that I use. Oils for hair can be grouped into carrier oils and essential oils.
The carrier oils can further be grouped into:
- Easily absorbent oils
- Ceramide-rich oils
Easily absorbent oils
- Coconut Oil: Although this oil is not a protein, it helps the hair retain its protein content. As a result, if you use it regularly, it will make your hair stronger. Excessive use might leave your hair feeling hard. You should also note that your hair might not like coconut oil if it is protein-sensitive.
- Olive oil: This oil is very moisturizing and it’s great as a hot oil or mixed with your deep conditioners. It can also be used as a sealing oil especially if you have really dry hair or live in a dry climate.
- Avocado oil: It also has great moisturizing properties. It also serves as a great carrier oil when mixed with essential oils.
- Argan oil
Ceramides are a group of lipids (fatty substances) that are naturally found in hair and skin. They help to ‘repair’ the hair cuticle and hair treated with ceramides show increased strength.
- Hemp seed oil
- Safflower oil
- Sunflower oil
- Wheat germ oil
- Grape seed oil
Are derived from plants and can help hair grow fast, reduce hair loss and dandruff. Some examples include:
- Tea tree oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Peppermint oil
- Rosemary oil
- Lavender oil
- Thyme oil
- Cedarwood oil
- Pimento Oil
- Jojoba oil: This oil is the closest in physical structure and consistency to the sebum naturally produced by the body.
- Castor Oil: It is believed to aid hair growth. Castor oil is extremely dense so you have to use it lightly or mix it with a lighter oil.
- Palm oil: Found naturally in the tropics and has similar properties to coconut oil.
- Amla Hair Oil: Used originally by Indians, made from the Amalaki fruit and is believed to thicken hair, treat dandruff and reduce hair graying.
As you can see, there are so many great oils and since I don’t want to lose out on any, I tend to mix different ones with my hair products. If you are not the type that likes mixing oils, don’t worry! There are several mixes available on the market. Some examples are:
- Optimum Care Salon Collection 6-in-1 Miracle Oil
- African Royale Hot Six Oil
- Wild Growth Hair Oil
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil Serum with Argan Oil 4 oz
- Hair Trigger Explosive Growth Elixir
- Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Wonder 8 oil
© Copyright 2013 Dr Fomsky, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!