I have never really liked the way shampoos left my hair brittle and dry. My curiosity was piqued when KLP of Saving our Strands published a post called making your own co-cleanser. She described how you can make your own conditioner cleanser (or co-cleanser). Her recipe is one part shampoo: two parts oil: three parts conditioner.
I mixed my first co-cleanser using a ‘cheapie’ conditioner, a few squirts of shampoo and apple cider vinegar. My hair felt better than the way it did with shampoos but still not the way I wanted it to. I’ve kept tweaking it and cut out the apple cider vinegar cos’ I think I was adding a bit too much of that and my hair still felt a little brittle.
My latest mix is 5 oz of conditioner: 2 oz of water: a few squirts of shampoo. This mix is very creamy and lathers very very little but I don’t mind cos’ it leaves my hair feeling just right: cleansed and soft. I use this mix once a week when I wash my hair and plan to only use real shampoo on relaxer day.
- Shampoo (or any other cleansing ‘agent’). I’ve only used shampoo and apple cider vinegar as the cleaning component of my co-cleanser but it might be possible to add other ayurvedic powders like rhassoul clay, shikakai,etc. I haven’t tried adding them yet but I think it’s possible.
- Conditioner. A good ‘cheapie’ conditioner should be suitable for this. E.g Suave naturals, VO5 conditioners, etc.
- Other additives e.g oils, aloe vera juice, etc. Tea tree oil is good to add if you have dandruff or a itchy scalp. I don’t add oils to my co-cleanser because I already mix my deep conditioner with lots of oil and I don’t want my hair to be too oily.
- As I am Coconut co-wash cleansing conditioner
- Eden Bodyworks All-Natural Coconut Shea Co-wash
- Wen Cucumer Aloe Cleasing Conditioner
- Shea moisture coconut & hibiscus co-wash conditioner
- Ouidad curl co-wash low-foam cleansing conditioner
- Carol’s daughter hair milk conditioning co-wash
- L’Oreal Paris EverCreme Sulfate-Free Moisture Cleansing Conditioner
- Devacurl no-poozero lather conditioning cleanser
- Mizani True Textures Cleansing Cream Conditioning Curl Wash