Perhaps the most striking feature of Apricot oil is its light weight which makes it perfect for nighttime routine.
I got my Apricot oil by chance. It was on sale for N1,000 and I COULD NOT resist. It was practically impossible even though I’ve never heard or used the oil before. Anyways, I got to use it almost immediately as a moisturizer and I loved it even though it is lightweight and odorless. Which means my skin absorbs it hook, line and sinker.
Apricot oil is derived from the kernels of the apricot. These apricot kernels have an oil content of 50-60% which makes it similar to Almond Oil. Ah, that explains it.
So, what makes it so fantastic?
- – It Moisturizes.
Apricot oil is very light which makes it a gentle moisturizer. It’s perfect for moisturizing balanced skin, oily skin and hormone reactive skin. As I mentioned earlier, the light weight is perfect for the face. Most importantly, it leaves a non-greasy feeling afterwards. Perfect, I tell you. It also helps hydrate dry skin.
- – It Nourishes.
Organic apricot kernel oil is rich in gamma linoleic acid, or GLA, which comes from essential fatty acid omega-6. This GLA content helps the skin to maintain moisture balance. It also plays a role in firming and toning the skin. Additionally, apricot oil contains vitamin A and E, which soothes the skin and slows aging. The nourishing properties of apricot kernel seed oil has an anti-inflammatory effect and may soothe minor skin conditions such as eczema.
- – It Lubricates.
- This oil provides lubrication for the skin. As a light and gentle lubricant, which is appropriate for sensitive skin types, apricot kernel oil is frequently used for massages and in lip balms.
What are the properties?
Apricot kernel oil possesses many therapeutic properties which make it suitable for its various uses.
- Emollient – It is a brilliant emollient.
- Anti – Inflammatory – It reduces inflammation when applied topically or when ingested.
- Anti-Aging – It provides nutrition and support to the skin so that aging is reduced.
- Anti – Bacterial – This effect is used to treat clothes and other products to keep bacteria away.
- Anti Septic – It reduces risk of infection in open wounds and cuts.
- Antioxidant – It prevents the skin from damage by free radicals.