My body butter recipe has come a long way since the days of my whipped shea butter recipe. I thought it was only fair that I should share.
I’ve tried to tweak it with all kinds of oils just to find the one that works with my dry skin. You know how my skin absorbs every and anything, I needed to find a recipe that kept my skin moisturized for a longer period. After going back and forth with several trials and errors, I made a few observations.
- I need glycerine by the gallon.
- Light carrier oils like Sweet Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil, Apricot Oil and Grapeseed Oil are a no-no for my skin type.
- Rather, heavier oils like Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil are a better option. My skin tends to absorb some of this and leaves the rest on the surface for shine.
So, here’s what a recent recipe looks like with full measurements.
- 10g of Shea Butter
- 2g of Cocoa Butter
- 60ml of Glycerine
- 40ml of Coconut Oil
- 35ml of Chamomile Infused Oil
- 15ml of JBCO
- 5ml of Vitamin E Oil
- 7ml of Jasmine Oil
When I’m not feeling particularly fancy or I have to make large quantities for myself and my brothers, my recipe looks like this:
- 20g of Shea Butter
- 10g of Cocoa Butter
- 70ml of Glycerine
- 50ml of Coconut Oil
- 10ml of Jasmine/Lavender Oil
- 5ml of Vitamin E Oil
For those of you that probably need a refresher on how to make body butters, this is how you go about it.
- – Melt the shea and cocoa butter in a double boiler or simply use steaming hot water to melt them.
- – Next, you add all the oils you want to use and whisk gently.
- – Then, you place the mixture in a hand mixer and whip until it’s super smooth and frothy
- – In the absence of a hand mixer, place the mixture in the fridge to solidify for a bit
- – After a while, take it out and whip with an egg whisk until you get your desired results.
There was a time when I was so lazy to whip that I just left it in the freezer until it solidified completely. Instead of a smooth creamy consistency, I got a softer butter that wasn’t so different from the raw shea butter.
There you have it!
Just like every other thing, you need to find one that works for you and suits your skin type.© Copyright 2016 Ebun Oluwole, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!