Water covers 71% of the Earth’s surface and is vital for all forms of life. It is believed that humans cannot go without water for three days. However, I know a few people who have gone on a completely dry fast for ±7 days.
Why do we need water?
- acts as a solvent for many compound, nutrients and minerals in the human body and helps to distribute these necessary nutrients.
- is necessary for several metabolic processes in the human body, including enzyme function.
- helps to lubricate our joints
- facilitates bowel movement and helps prevent constipation
- lessens burden on liver and kidneys by flushes out waste products
- moistens mouth, eyes and nose
- regulates body temperature
- protects organs.
To function properly, the body needs between 2 – 7 litres of water a day. [2 litres is about 6-7 glasses of water].
Water and skin
Skin is an organ and skin cells also need water to function. Water will reach most other organs before getting to the skin. Therefore it is important to drink at least 8 glasses of water daily so that your skin can get its share. In addition, you can moisturize your skin from the outside.
When your skin hasn’t received enough water,
- It will be dry and flaky.
- It will feel tight
- It will be less resilient and more prone to wrinkles.
To hydrate your skin from the outside, you can apply a hydrating moisturizer within a few minutes of taking a bath/shower. At that time, the skin is still porous leading to better absorption.
Water and your hair
Hair growth begins at its root, inside the hair follicle. The only “living” portion of the hair is found in this follicle and it needs to be adequately moisturized for healthy hair growth.
On the other hand, the hair that we see doesn’t display any biochemical activity and is considered “dead”. Most of the water that reaches the hair follicle doesn’t get to our hair strands. That is why we have to moisturize our hair from the outside. When your hair is well hydrated, it feels supple and looks shiny. If your hair is dry, it looks dull and is prone to breakage.
Have you considered the importance of water for skin and hair beauty?
How much water do you drink a day? I usually take about 4-6 glasses depending on how busy I am and whether or not I worked out that day. When I’m very busy, I might take only 3 glasses of water. When I work out, I sometimes take about 6-8 glasses of water in a day.
© Copyright 2013 Dr Fomsky, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!