When I started my natural hair journey, I had no idea my lifestyle would be heavily influenced, particularly my diet. In my quest for healthy living, I came across something that wasn’t particularly mainstream in this part of the world although it’s gradually gaining grounds with fitness enthusiasts.
Lemon and lime, which are citrus fruits, have overtime been acknowledged for just what they are: fruits nothing more, nothing less. Up until now, some of us didn’t realise that lemons and limes have antioxidant, anti-cancer as well as healing properties. They are the perfect source of Vitamin C, which of course is one of the most important natural antioxidants. So you can imagine the weight these seemingly insignificant fruits carry. When you visit a store or market in Lagos, for instance, with a wide variety of fruits, you’d be very lucky to see a basket of lemons. That’s because many store-owners are not ”aware” of lemons. As long as it’s not mainstream, it’s probably non-existent. Anyways, I’m glad that there are a few stores, mostly high-end ones that stock lemons. Limes of course are readily available.
Now what are the benefits of this highly placed lemons/limes? Why are they so fascinating? I don’t know about you but they are fascinating to me..
- They aid digestion. Limes/lemons have qualities that are similar to digestive enzymes which in turn help digestion and relieve bloating and belching.
- They are an excellent source potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- They possess detoxification properties.They cleanse the system by flushing out toxins which are harmful to the system by enhancing enzyme function thus stimulating the liver
- They aid weight loss. The pectin fiber present in lemons help curb constant hunger cravings.
- They help freshen your breath. For those with bad breath, constantly drinking lemon/lime water before or after brushing improves your breath.
- They can help lower blood pressure
- They help fight viral infections
- They reduce inflammation. They help reduce acidity and remove the uric acid in the joints that cause inflammation.
- Drinking lemon/lime water helps reduce acne scars and blemishes and clears out your pores naturally.
- They keep your body hydrated.
- They are also great for the skin. Of course, once the system is cleansed of toxins and waste, the skin will glow.
They are recommended to be taken first thing in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night. Just slice a lemon/lime into half. Squeeze the juice into a cup and mix with warm water. But if you’re like me and you need to cut down on your carbonated drinks and have issues drinking water, you might want to squeeze 1-2 lemons to fit a bottle that would last a whole day.
Personally, I drink lemon water particularly for its detoxification properties and also to reduce belly fat. Yes in case you didn’t know. I also try to use a lot of it for my facial masks and beauty remedies. Its healing qualities have me hooked.
So, please buy a lemon today. Better still, stock them. They don’t spoil easily and have a good shelf life.