One of the reasons I don’t usually have a relaxer lying around is to prevent ‘on-impulse’ relaxer day. I swear when I am deep into my stretch and I am approaching relaxer day, I try to keep my mind off the relaxer day hair not just because I was battling tangles but just to have my hair “tamed” or less work for me.
I had originally planned to relax my hair on the 30th of June but after dreaming literally about getting a relaxer on Sunday, I just threw in the towel and guess what?? I did it all by myself within 10 minutes! Touching up myself has been on my to-do list and finally I did it! I really wanted to do it myself the last relaxer day but my friend was not encouraging and she didn’t understand why I would want to do it myself. She was also scared on my behalf …sweet thing….Surround yourself with people who let you explore and test your strengths ….that’s by the way . So here is a breakdown of how it went *drum roll please*
- I carefully detangled my hair and sectioned it into four.
- Based my scalp with vaseline and my previously relaxed hair with vaseline and conditioner
- I used Organics Olive oil no-lye relaxer by Africa’s Best. I used half of the jar and mixed in half of the my activator. I also added about one and a half capfuls of coconut oil to give me some time.
- Started at the nape of my head and worked my way to my crown.
- Massaged the relaxer in and smoothed once with a wide toothed comb. I did all this in 10 minutes. Not bad for a ‘JOHNNY just come’ (JJC) ehn.
- I rinsed off all traces of the relaxer and applied Aphogee 2-minute keratin reconstructor then rinsed it out. I neutralized my hair like 5 times with the neutralising shampoo that came with the relaxer and then I used ORS aloe creamy shampoo let it sit for 3 minutes and rinsed off.
- I later applied the mayonnaise that came with the relaxer and combed through my hair then rinsed it off .
- I deep conditioned using ORS replenishing conditioner under my heat cap for 20 minutes. Rinsed it off and put my hair in a pony tail. I just put on my satin cap and slept off.
The verdict is in:
I am glad I overcame my fear and just did it anyway!
I have some texture left: I don’t know if I like it or hate it yet but it’s behaving well. I hope I would be able to achieve the same results next time.