How to use Jamaican black castor oil as a deep conditioner (after washing your hair)
You can use it in several ways:
- as a scalp treatment during deep conditioning. If you have a bottle with a long tip, you can pour the Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO) into this and apply it directly onto your scalp. If you don’t have an applicator bottle, simply part your hair and apply the JBCO to your scalp using your fingertips.
- on its own as a deep conditioning hot oil treatment. Divide your hair into at least two sections. Apply 1-3 tablespoons to your palm and then rub into each section.
- mixed with other oils as a deep conditioning hot oil treatment. Mix the oils you want to use together. Add 1 tablespoon of JBCO with 1 tablespoon of your oil mix. Apply to your hair.
- with a conditioner. The amount of JBCO depends on how thick your hair is and how oily you like your hair to be. If your hair is fine or light, mix one tablespoon into the amount of conditioner you are going to use for your hair. If your hair is normal, 2 tablespoons should be adequate. If your hair is very thick, 3 tablespoons should be more than enough.
- mixed with other oils and then adding this oil mix to a deep conditioner.
After applying the JBCO
- When you are done applying the JBCO to your hair in whatever method you choose, sit underneath a steamer (without a shower cap) or wear a shower cap and sit under a bonnet dryer or use a heating cap.
- If you have none of the above, heat the oil before applying it to your hair. Wear a shower cap and then tie a warm towel around your hair. Leave it in your hair for 15-30 minutes and rinse off.
- JBCO might not make it as easy to comb through your hair the same way a conditioner would.
- If you used JBCO on its own, you might still need to apply another conditioner in the shower to enable you comb through your hair more easily.
- Apply this conditioner for 2-3 minutes and if you prefer, detangle your hair with the conditioner still in your hair. Rinse it off.
- If you prefer to comb your hair when you come out of the shower, squeeze out the excess water from your hair. Next, apply a leave-in conditioner or detangler to your hair. Then comb through your hair before drying and styling your hair.