May 27, 2013 by
The Greenhouse effect hair regimen is part of a regimen called the Real Queens Regimen designed by a hair blogger called Meeka Jael. Meeka used this Greenhouse to grow her hair very fast within a period of less than one year.
The Real Queens Regimen (gotten directly from the Real Queens Website) recommends that you
- Prepoo and shampoo once a month (or twice if necessary)
- Condition if you need/want to
- Try to only use 100% natural products in your hair
- Do the Green House Effect as often as you can
These are the steps for the Green House Effect(GHE). You:
- Apply a 100% natural oil, oil blend, or butter of your choice to dry or damp hair
- prep your hair for the next day with braids/twists/bantus etc. or just do a ponytail or bun…it’s up to you
- Put on a shower cap/plastic bag and tie it down with a head tie (for extra heat you can wear a hat over that)
- Go to sleep or leave it on for a long period of time
- In the morning, just style your hair as usual (if doing a set, for best results let it air dry before you take out your braids/twists/bantus).
In addition, Meeka doesn’t recommend applying your scalp.
To be honest, I don’t do everything this regimen recommends: I just pick the ones that FIT INTO my own regimen: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it“. If your regimen works for you, just find a way to add it in.
How I incorporate some aspects of the Greenhouse regimen into my hair regimen is as follows:
I do wash my hair weekly and truthfully, it’s a bit stressful mixing up natural or home-made conditioners. It’s way easier to just use my regular products. This means that I HAVE to wash my hair weekly to prevent product build-up.
- I use ONLY Sulfate-free shampoos weekly and use a clarifying shampoo once every 4-6 weeks.
- I apply ONLY natural oils to my hair: you’ll NEVER find mineral oil or petrolatum in any of my products.
- On my wash days, I base my scalp with Strong Roots Pimento oil or any other oil I have at hand. [yes I know Meeka doesn’t recommend it but I have to find a way to get some of my essential oils on my scalp]. I then follow up by applying my pre-poo oil or conditioner to my entire hair. I cover my hair with my shower cap, then my sleep bonnet and either go about or go to bed (if it’s at night). The following morning, I wash my hair. Then I deep condition and style my hair as normal.
- Sometimes during the week, I apply oil to my scalp and hair, wear a bonnet, then a shower cap and a crochet beret on top of this. If my hair is just too dry: I oil my hair, wear a shower cap, a satin bonnet and then my crochet beret on top of this. I go to bed with this and style my hair in the morning. Most of the time, my hair feels slightly damp when I take off my bonnet and shower cap. If I use a lot of oil, then I rinse it off and air dry my hair.
Tip: if you are applying oil to hair that is not well moisturized, it can lead to further breakage. To minimize this risk, you can:
- moisturize your hair lightly by using a spray leave-in conditioner or water before applying the oil.
- pat your hair lightly with the oil and don’t manipulate your hair at all. By the time you take off your shower cap in the morning, your hair should feel moist and you can now comb and style your hair as you please.
© Copyright 2013 Sizzelle, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!