One of the quirks of treating acne is the scars it leaves behind which are quite unflattering, disfiguring and more difficult to remove than the acne itself. But the good news is that they can be gotten rid of. Of course there are drugstore cleansers and creams that claim to effectively do the job but for the sake of this post, we’re just gonna focus on natural remedies.
As usual, it would take some time to be gotten rid off completely but with consistency and dedication, they should be gradually be cleared.
1. Lemon Juice: which is rich in Vitamin C and acts as a natural bleaching agent. Constantly applying freshly squeezed lemon juice to the affected areas helps to lighten the scars. If your skin is sensitive, you could dilute it with rosewater before applying it.
2. Honey: when used generously, is fully capable to treating acne scars. Honey doesn’t require any other catalyst as it can function effectively alone so get to it.
3. Fresh Aloe Vera: has healing properties that not only soothes the skin but also helps in regenerating damaged tissues. Get hold of a fresh aloe vera leaf, open it up and apply the gel-like substance on the scars. Leave it for about 30 minutes and wash off. Note that a patch test needs to be carried out, especially for aloe vera to test allergies. In the absence of any, you can go ahead and apply it but if there is, you might need to mix it with honey.
4. Baking Soda: Known for its exfoliating properties, using baking soda on a regular basis helps to fade acne scars. The gentle coarse granules of soda helps to remove the dead skin layers without causing inflammation. You can choose to use it alone or mix with water to form a paste.
5. Raw Potatoes: This simple food when used topically, does wonders to acne scars but requires lots and lots of patience. Just cut of a slice of raw Irish potatoes and rub on the affected areas in a circular motion until the juice absorbed is dry. Leave for about 20 minutes and then rinse out. This should be done twice a week for a period of about 2 months depending on the intensity of the scars.
6. Facial Steaming: helps to open up your pores and cleanse your skin off blackheads by flushing out impurities out of the skin. You can do this via a facial steamer or by just carefully putting your head over a bowl of hot water. Drape a towel over your head and allow your skin to absorb the steam. It might cause you to sweat profusely. Rinse out after a while.
Now I know all this might look daunting. The process of getting rid of acne scars isn’t exactly as exciting as the aftermath of a flawless skin which we all seek. Natural remedies aren’t for the faint-hearted as they require lots of patience and dedication. It’s not something that can be done overnight. It takes some time!
Cheers to an acne-free skin!