For a while now, cornrows have been my go-to protective style. After wash day, I cornrow my hair in two sections for a whole week whilst co-washing and moisturizing in between. On days I have to go out, I just add extensions to my ends in form of ponytails and I’m good to go.
For some reasons I got bored and decided to try something new. My flexi-rods were randomly hanging around when the idea stuck.
I flew into the shower and quickly co-washed my hair with my cheapie conditioner which I’ve mixed with Amla oil.
I decided not to use so many products to avoid Build-up AND Over weighing the hair (which might reduce the chances of definition). And I was right! Those few products I used were perfect!
- On damp hair, I saturated my hair with little quantities of the leave-in and coconut oil. After which, I finished up with my aloe vera gel which I was a bit skeptical about because it was my first time. All I knew was that a little went a long way. Assembled the flexi-rods and started rolling until I was done. The whole process didn’t even take up to one hour. In about 15-20 minutes, I was done. Now, this is what I’m talking about! I absolutely detest styles that take hours to make. That’s why I hardly twist my hair. Who knows? This could be my new go-to style!
- I did this at 5pm on Saturday night. Didn’t bother to cover it with my satin bonnet so that I could speed up the drying process. It was surprisingly comfortable to sleep in even though I tried to avoid sleeping on it.
- The next Sunday morning, by time I was done with my makeup for Church, I began unraveling the rods carefully and believe me when I say that I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. Unfortunately, that was short-lived. I was in a hurry and got lost in between so I just did the first thing that came to my mind: loosen the curls and pack it up in a updo. I was done in seconds and I went off to Church.
- As I mentioned earlier, little quantities of products go a long way.
- For best results, your hair needs to be absolutely dried before taking out the rods. Don’t be like me. Start early leaving more than enough time to dry.
- I also noticed that this style works better on stretched hair. Whatever method you use, just make sure it’s stretched prior to time. My hair was co-washed in cornrows so it was a bit stretched.
The flexi-rod set will definitely become a staple! Did I mention how easy it is?© Copyright 2014 Ebun Oluwole, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!