Most doctors advise that we get at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. To get the most benefit, from eating your daily fruit and veggies, you should take a variety of fruits and veggies. What this means is that you shouldn’t just 5 bananas to meet your daily requirement. Each fruit and vegetable have different nutrients so taking a variety ensures that you ingest an adequate amount of nutrients.
You can get in your 5-a-day requirement by doing the following:
- Adding fruits to your breakfast cereal
- Adding fruits to plain, unsweetened yoghurt
- Adding fresh vegetables to stews and sauces
- Steaming vegetables with your starchy foods i.e rice, pasta, etc
- Snack on fruits instead of regular snacks like cookies, chips, etc
- Juice your fruits and veggies
- Make smoothies (you can also make veggie smoothies sweetened with fruits!)
N/B: Although potatoes, yams and plantains are vegetables, they don’t count towards your daily requirement because they serve as our stable starchy foods.
© Copyright 2013 Dr Fomsky, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!