Price: $14 for a 4oz bottle (on the Carol’s Daughter Hair Balm)
Where to Buy:
- Strands Salon at 32 Musa Yar’Adua Street, Victoria Island, Lagos. (A friend told me this salon retails Carol’s Daughter products. I haven’t been there recently to see for myself but I will take her word on it.)
- Casa Bella at the Palms Mall in Lekki
Place a small amount in the palm of your hand and rub hands together. Apply sparingly to scalp and hair. Use as often as needed to keep your hair looking conditioned and shiny.
Thick, water-free emulsion gives a nourishing shine to very dry hair – relaxed or natural.
Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Beeswax, Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Seed Butter, Coconut Oil, Fragrance, Wheat Germ Oil and Annatto Seed.
I use it as a moisturizer for my leave-out (my real hair that I “leave out” to cover my weave tracks) when I have a weave in. I like the idea of this product – as it is a moisturizing product without containing water. This is ideal for relaxed hair – when it has been straightened and you want to moisturize/nourish your hair while maintaining a sleek and straight look. Water-based moisturizers are not ideal for maintaining flatironed, tonged or roller set sleekness of hair as the hair absorbs the water and this causes the hair strand to curl/shrink/revert to its more natural state. So water-free products work well in this regard. Also, one of the top-5 best smelling hair products I have encountered.
1. Lovely smell. Once again, I cannot quite find something similar to compare it to – but please trust and believe me when I tell you, this product will have your hair smelling divine. It is also a strong scent that lingers. The vote is unanimous on the pleasant scent of this product as all my friends love the scent – and are in fact hell-bent on finishing up this delicious product of mine. I have been forced to hide this particular hair balm when I know certain friends will be visiting – OH YES! Interesting to note the divine smell of this product as its sister product the health hair butter smells funky and unpleasant! I guess my speculation was right – it’s the essential oils in the healthy hair butter that lends it its earthy, “natural” smell.
2. As stated earlier, unique product in that it is a moisturizing product without containing water. Excellent for reversion-free hair styling especially in humid Lagos.
3. Works as a moisturizer and also as a sealant as it is an oil-rich formula. Softens my hair and makes it shiny. I am a sucker for shiny hair!
4. Nice honey-like consistency – like liquefied pomade. Easy to apply – as it is neatly dispensed through the flick-cap.
5. Contains a ceramide oil: Wheat Germ Oil. My highly porous hair has been greatly improved and enriched by including ceramides into my hair regimen.
1. A bit pricey. In fact, it used to be a whole lot more expensive, but it appears the prices have been reduced. Still $14 (N2,200) for a 4oz product is pricey IMO.
2. Can lead to oily/greasy hair if too much product is used.
Nice smelling, all-natural product with a unique position in the hair care game.
Repurchase?: Yes I will repurchase if I have enough money at the time – for the delicious smell and unique use (moisturizing and reversion-proof product).
Staple?: No.© Copyright 2013 Kiky Oh, All rights Reserved. Written For: Get your Sizzelle on!